Friday, October 29, 2010

Oh Boy - It's a BOY!

It’s official – Baby Welly has gone from an “it” to a HE! Joe and I were absolutely delighted to hear the news. And honestly, quite shocked. I have known that I’m pregnant for about 3-1/2 months. For 3 months and 29 days, I thought it was a girl. Every old-fashioned indicator led me to believe as such – I felt awful in the first trimester, I am carrying all-over (heavier chest and booty), and the Chinese birth calendar said “girl.” Not to mention I had dreams of girls and I know 7 pregnant (or recently delivered) women with BOYS. Surely it was time for a girl, right?

I hate to put this in writing, but my intuition is crap.

The ultrasound tech pointed right at it, first thing. Yep, it’s a penis. Holy crap my baby has a penis! I squealed with excitement and a little disbelief. I was far from disappointed. In fact, I was so convinced it was a girl that I never entertained the idea of a boy. As the tech navigated my sweet baby boy, I suddenly became elated knowing that I A) wasn’t going to have a girl that looked like Joe, and B) will not have to hear “Mom, Dad…I’m pregnant.” Joe is through the roof with excitement. I think he saw our baby in a Virginia Tech jersey right at that moment. The prodigal son, Henry Christian Welliver (Hank) is in the making ladies and gents.

Since our baby Hank can now hear, we are talking to him non-stop. I’m even starting to read to him so that he gets used to the cadence of my voice. Unfortunately all I have right now to read him are work emails, recipes and the TV guide. He’ll be an excellent cook who can navigate cable like nobody’s business by the time he pops out. Joe is talking to him as well. I must say there are few things sweeter than a man talking to his unborn child.

In other news, we had a bit of a hiccup with the ultrasound. Hank was so restful in utero that they couldn’t get proper measurements of his head. He may also have a small spot on his heart. Obviously this unsettled me at first, especially knowing that it is one of the indicators of Down syndrome. There’s a very small chance (considering my age) and the spot is far from a single indicator of anything wrong. Please understand -- nothing will keep me from loving this baby, but a new mom can only worry. I am scheduled to go for another ultrasound next Tuesday to get a better look. Joe’s football commitments keep him from coming, but thankfully Grandma Welliver will be by my side.

We’re already envisioning our sweet babe’s future. I can’t wait to take him to the aquarium, play with dinosaurs, build sandcastles (for immediate destruction of course), and teach him every sport under the sun. Henry Christian Welliver (Hank) has a bright path in front of him that will be led by God and good examples...hopefully ;-)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Amanda and Joe!!

We are so excited for you guys..Boys will keep you on your toes at all time.
There is only one little piece of advise I can give you.. Never change is diaper unless you have another one all ready in place to change him quickly.!! Little boys love to pee every where. lol First little bit air that hits them they will just let is fly!! Trust me on this. I have washed many of changing table pads and walls.. Plus my own clothes.. Have fun with your little angel there a wonderful blessing. You guys are going to make great parents!!